What is a cookie?
A cookie its a text file harmless that is stored on your browser when you visit almost every website. The utility of a cookie its that the website its able to remember your past visits when you browse it. Even if many people don’t know about them, the cookies have been used since 20 years ago, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What isn’t a cookie?
It is not a virus, nor a trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor a spyware, nor a pop-up opener.
Which information does a cookie store?
The cookies doesn’t usually store sensitive information about you, like credit cards or bank data, photos, DNI or personal data, etc. The data that they store its more technical, personal preferences, customization of content, etc.
The web server does associate your browser as the person using it, not you. In fact, if you navigate usually with Internet Explorer and test your browser on the same website on Firefox or Chrome, you will see that the website does not recognize that you are the same person.
What kind of cookies does exist?
- Technical cookies: They are the most usual ones, they check if who is browsing the website its a human or an automated application, or check when a user is anonymous or registered, basic things for the function of any dinamic website.
- Analysis cookies: They gather information about the kind of navigation that is being done, the sections that are most used by you, products checked, time zone of use, language, etc.
- Publicity cookies: They show adverts depending on your navigation, your country of residence, language, etc.
What are the own and third-party cookies?
The own cookies are generated by the website your browsing, and the third-party are generated by services or extern providers like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What does happens if I disable the cookies?
To understand what will happen if cookies are disabled, there you have some examples:
- You will not be able to share content of that website on any social network.
- The website will not be able to get your preferences.
- You will not be able to access your personal area of the website.
- Online shopping: Impossible to make any purchase online.
- Not possible to personalize your geographic preferences like time zone, currency type or language.
- The website will not be able to make analysis about their visitors and web traffic, this will make it harder for the web to be competitive.
- Not able to write on the blog, nor upload pictures, publish comments, rate content. The website will not be able to know if you are human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- The adverts will not be sectorized, reducing the incoming of the website.
Can cookies be eliminated?
Yes. Not only deleted, they can be blocked too, general or specific domain.
To delete the cookies of a website you must go to the browser configuration and find the options.
Configuratión of cookies for the most known browsers
Please find below how to access a specific cookie on Chrome browser. Note: These steps may vary depending on the version of your browser:
- Go to Settings or Preferences using the File menu or clicking on the customization icon on the top right corner.
- You will see different sections, click on the option Show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content Setting.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list with all the cookies will appear. They will be arranged according to the domain name. To make it easier for you to find the cookies related to a particular domain, please enter the whole or part of the address in the field “Look for cookies”.
- After this filter, one or more lines will appear on screen with the different cookies of the requested website. You just have to select the cookie you want to access and press X to remove it.
To access cookie settings on Internet Explorer browser please follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you desire.
To access cookie settings on Firefox browser please follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- Choose Use personalized settings for history on History.
- You will then see the option Accept cookies. You can activate or disable cookies according to your preferences.
To access cookie settings on Safari browser for OSX please follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- You will see the option called “Block cookies” by which you can adjust the blocking type you wish to implement.
To access cookie settings on Safari browser for iOS, please follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy and Security. You will see the option called “Block Cookies” by which you can adjust the blocking type you want to implement.
To access cookie settings for Android devices’ browser please follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of your browser):
- Run the browser and press the key “Menu”, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy. You will see the option called “Accept cookies” by which you can enable or disable a check box in order to accept or disable cookies.
To access cookie settings for Windows Phone devices’ browser please follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of your browser):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings
- You can then enable or disable the check box called “Allow cookies” in order to accept or disable cookies.